Generally, people think of exercise bikes as those things that only fitness trainers can use, but it’s more viable for home fitness than people believe. Exercise bikes, also known as stationary bikes, are devices that are shaped and perform the same motions as a normal bicycle, but are not used for transportation. They might have a saddle or handlebars and look similar to a transportation bicycle, but stay stationary.
Most often they are bought for weight loss but have also been used for physical therapy given the low-impact nature of the exercise. This article is intended to not only show you more of what exercise bikes can do, but to also give some insight into types of exercise bikes, what to look for when buying, and what benefits they’ll provide when you get them.
Read ahead to get an idea of what’s in store when you pick up one of these simple, but useful machines.
Recommended Exercise Bikes
Last update on 2021-04-16 at 08:52 PST/ Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Some Of The Best Selling Exercise Bikes
- 【Smooth Stationery Bike】35lbs flywheel and heavy-duty steel frame of the exercise bike guarantee the stability while cycling. The belt driven system provides a smoother and quieter ride than chain transport. It won't disturb your apartment neighbors or sleeping kids.
- 【Personalized Fit Exercise Bike】2-ways adjustable non-slip handlebar, 4-ways padded seat (inseam height 25-35in) and a large range of resistance give users a comfortable indoor riding experience. Workout your muscles / lose weight / enhance heart /lung function. 270 lbs weight capacity.
- 【LCD Monitor and Ipad Mount】The LCD monitor on exercise bike tracks your time, speed, distance, calories burned and odometer. The gift Ipad holder allows you to enjoy exercising and music at the same time, making it easier to keep exercising.
- Customized Design: Fully Adjustable Seat and Handlebars Fit to Whole Family. Bottle Cage Attached, Adjustable Pedals and Elbow Supports.
- Intensity Resistance: Heavy-duty Steel BELT-DRIVEN System With a 30lbs Bidirectional Flywheel, Equipped With a Continuously Variable Resistance Adjustor, enjoy true road feel!
- Digital Records: LCD Monitor Tracks Time, Speed, Distance, Calories, and Heart Rate By Hand Pulse
- 【Upgraded Wide Base & Stationary Bike】After referring to other exercise bikes on the market and continuous improvement and upgrading, CHAOKE designed this spinning bike, which has a stylish appearance, extra wide seat cushion and heavier flywheel 37lbs. The thickened steel frame enhances the stability and sturdy stand in your ride. The trend-setting colors and smooth body makes this exercise bike more aesthetically pleasing.
- 【Whisper Quiet & Easy To Move Around】Newly upgraded indoor cycling bike with the Magnetic Resistance and Belt-driven System, which keeps your indoor pedaling smooth and quiet so you don't have to worry about disturbing others. It has an emergency stop function: press resistance knob to bring the flywheel to an instant stop. The spin bike can be easily moved around due to dual transportable wheels. Simply tilt and pull it out for use or back for storage.
- 【Easy Adjustable & Safe Pedals Design】Adjustable handlebar and seat meet the needs of people with different heights. The non-slip steel cage-shaped pedals are equipped with adjustable straps, which can fit well with different size of feet, give your feet protection and avoid them from sliding forward or to the side. The adjustable resistance rotary knob allows you to control the resistance to simulate riding on different terrains and customize your workout plans according to your fitness level.
- 💪 【WHISPER QUIET】 Compared with other stationary bike, it has a larger flywheel and belt drive, which means it will be more stable and safe, and makes your ride more comfortable and smooth. You are receiving the strongest low-impact exercise bike for home.
- 💪【CUSTOMIZED DESIGN】These easy-to-adjust 2-way handlebars and 4-way seat can adapt to most body types. The super soft seat cushion makes your ride more comfortable. Non-slip handlebar is designed for more intense exercise. The handlebars are also embedded with chips that can track the heart rate.
- 💪 【LCD MONITOR】 LABODI indoor cycling bike comes with a large LCD monitor(3.54 inches) that clearly tracks time, distance(miles), calories burned, heart rate, speed and RPM. Exercise intensity is intuitive and controllable. The flat bracket can accommodate 10.2-inch Ipad, and the water bottle bracket is convenient for you to replenish water in time.
- 【Updated Stationary Bike】The current version adopts thickened frame tube, overcomes the unsteady defects of most of spin bikes in the market. Solid build, weight capacity 330LBS, give you a safe riding.
- 【Smooth and Quiet Exercise Bike】With 40LBS flywheel and silent belt driven, this spinning bike gives you an unbelievably smooth and silent ride. It will never disturb your families when you burning calories.
- 【Best Spin Bikes for Home】2-ways adjustable handlebar, 4-ways padded seat and adjustable tension to make this exercise bicycle meet the need of beginners to professionals. Even can't access a studio, you can boost immunity, strengthen heart and lungs and muscles, perfect for your family health!
Last update on 2021-04-16 at 18:16 PST/ Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
There are two primary types of exercise bikes being used today; the stand-up and the recumbent.
The stand-up, or the upright bike, is engaging and the most similar to traditional outdoor bicycling. It has the same position and body movements, and requires you to activate muscles in your arms and shoulders much like you would when cycling outdoors. Given the upright position you have to maintain during the exercise, your abdominal muscles get worked as well, which is a muscle group often neglected in bikes like the recumbent. The last advantage is the size of the machine itself, known in the exercise world as the machine’s footprint. Since it’s footprint is relatively small, it allows more space in the room to put other exercise equipment. That being said, no bike is perfect, not even the stationary ones.
The disadvantages that come with an upright bike are more quality of life, but have an effect when paired with a dedicated fitness routine. If your form is correct then your back will be hunched which can create muscle soreness and fatigue, and the bike seat is smaller like traditional bikes, causing your rear to hurt enduring what bikers call “saddle soreness”. Another disadvantage is that it’s better fitted to people who are already athletic. Given the demanding nature of the exercise, it’s paired best with someone who works out regularly but wants to use the bike for home fitness.
The recumbent bike is the second type of exercise bike. With a simple change in seating, most of the disadvantages of the upright bike are alleviated, while trading out a more intense workout. In a recumbent bike the rider’s body sits easily into the frame, with most sporting larger seats and armrests. The reclined body position and pedal placement allow for a less engaging but comfortable workout. The seating and size stop any saddle problems and the reclined position makes for an easier exercise on the neck and back. The last advantage is that a recumbent bike can be used by people in all walks of life.
From physical therapy and recovery, to an enjoyable experience in home fitness, the recumbent fits the needs of just about anyone. Again, no bike is perfect and the recumbent mirrors a lot of the advantages of the upright with it’s downfalls. The comfort of the recumbent make for a less intense workout, and put the workload onto your lower body. You can do an entire exercise without ever engaging the upper body which makes for less fitness for your time. The question of which is the best home bike will continue to be decided by the buyer. Now that you know the difference, we’ll discuss what you should look for in bikes when breaking out your wallet.
When deciding on an exercise bike, the most important thing to consider is your fitness goals. The top exercise bikes will always be what fits your goals, effort, and wallet the best. With that in mind, there are a few basic components that are needed in any bike. You want it to always include things like resistance variation, so your bike can progressively get harder as you get stronger. You want a computer on it that tells you general stats such as distance, speed and calories burned. Comfort has to be at the top of the priority list, especially if you’ll be biking regularly. A thousand dollar bike is useless when it’s not being used because your aches are too much to bear, and something as small as seat size can alleviate that. If you’re either a bit taller or shorter than the average, try to look for bikes with seats that adjust accordingly. Your pedals should always have straps for safety, and the handlebars should be screwed tight to the machine. Since stability is such an important part of all exercise, always check the weight and size limit to make sure you’re not going to injure yourself. Optional accessories include things like a heart rate monitor, folding for more room management, and built-in fans for cooling and air resistance. Keep these in mind and you should be able to pick yourself up a nice bike fitted to your goals, without breaking the bank!
There are benefits to using any type of exercise bike, which is probably the reason it’s become such a popular tool. The low-impact nature is easy to take on, whether you’re a professional biker in training or just trying to keep yourself fit. The bikes are all indoors meaning you can exercise whether it’s rain or shine, and the wide range of uses make the bike a very flexible fitness option for anybody wanting to live a healthier lifestyle.
In conclusion, there is a bike out there for everyone. Whether you prefer the engaged upright, or the comfortable recumbent, stationary bikes are useful for anyone and are a great addition to any exercise plan.