Generally, people think of exercise bikes as those things that only fitness trainers can use, but it’s more viable for home fitness than people believe. Exercise bikes, also known as stationary bikes, are devices that are shaped and perform the same motions as a normal bicycle, but are not used for transportation. They might have a saddle or handlebars and look similar to a transportation bicycle, but stay stationary.
Most often they are bought for weight loss but have also been used for physical therapy given the low-impact nature of the exercise. This article is intended to not only show you more of what exercise bikes can do, but to also give some insight into types of exercise bikes, what to look for when buying, and what benefits they’ll provide when you get them.
Read ahead to get an idea of what’s in store when you pick up one of these simple, but useful machines.
Recommended Exercise Bikes
Last update on 2021-08-03 at 11:13 PST/ Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Some Of The Best Selling Exercise Bikes
- 【Smooth Stationery Bike】35lbs flywheel and heavy-duty steel frame of the exercise bike guarantee the stability while cycling. The belt driven system provides a smoother and quieter ride than chain transport. It won't disturb your apartment neighbors or sleeping kids.
- 【Personalized Fit Exercise Bike】2-ways adjustable non-slip handlebar, 4-ways padded seat (inseam height 25-35in) and a large range of resistance give users a comfortable indoor riding experience. Workout your muscles / lose weight / enhance heart /lung function. 270 lbs weight capacity.
- 【LCD Monitor and Ipad Mount】The LCD monitor on exercise bike tracks your time, speed, distance, calories burned and odometer. The gift Ipad holder allows you to enjoy exercising and music at the same time, making it easier to keep exercising.
- Solid Build: heavy-duty steel frame and flywheel of the exercise bike guarantee the stability while cycling. The belt driven system provides a smooth and quiet ride experience. It won't disturb your apartment neighbors or sleeping kids.
- Fully Adjustable: 2-ways adjustable non-slip handlebar, 4-ways padded seat (inseam height 25-35in) and a large range of resistance gives users a comfortable indoor riding experience. Workout your muscles / lose weight / enhance heart /lung function
- LCD display & pulse: The Digital Monitor will real-timely track and record your exercise time, speed, distance, calories, and pulse, so that you can know your progress and adjust your exercise plan in time. Hand Pulse Handle with pre-assembled exercise monitor.
- BEST SPINNING BIKE: Compared with other exercise bikes, it has bigger flywheel weight and higher quality heavy steel(We spend more on the cost of this exercise bike), which shows it will be more stable and secure. DMASUN bike weighs 95 lbs, which is 20 lbs heavier than other bikes. And every sport bike has 138 tests before it leaves the factory. High quality requirements run through the whole production line. What you need is a long-lasting exercise bike, not one that only lasts for a month.
- PERFECT DESIGN: Well-known design team, innovative design from the perspective of fashion home, sports aesthetics, human engineering, This cycling bike has a fashionable appearance, multiple handles, comfortable touch, adjustable resistance, make this exercise bike meet the needs of beginners to professionals. Not only a fitness product, but also a modern home aesthetic art.
- HEALTHY CHOICES: The updated DMASUN exercise bike adopts magnet resistance. Compared with wool felt brake pads, there will be no friction and debris during exercise, and reduce the annoyance of frequent replacement of brake pads. We also adjusted the distance between the seat and the handlebar, which is more friendly to people of different heights, and the ergonomic triangular structure makes exercise easier.
- 【Upgraded Wide Base & Stationary Bike】Compared with other exercise bikes, CHAOKE spinning bike has a stylish appearance, extra wide seat cushion and heavier flywheel 37lbs. More thickened steel frame enhances the stability and sturdy stand in your ride. The trend-setting colors and smooth body makes this exercise bike more aesthetically pleasing. Believe us, what you need is a durable and stable exercise bike, not one that just worn and broken in one month.
- 【Whisper Quiet & Easy To Move Around】Unlike traditional noisy friction resistance spin bike, our Magnetic Resistance and Belt-driven System indoor cycling bike, which keeps your indoor pedaling smooth and quiet so you don 't have to worry about disturbing others. It has an emergency stop function: press resistance knob to bring the flywheel to an instant stop. The spin bike can be easily moved around due to dual transportable wheels. Simply tilt and pull it out for use or back for storage.
- 【Easy Adjustable & Safe Pedals Design】Adjustable handlebar and seat meet the needs of people with different heights. The non-slip steel cage-shaped pedals are equipped with adjustable straps, which can fit well with different size of feet, give your feet protection and avoid them from sliding forward or to the side. The adjustable resistance rotary knob allows you to control the resistance to simulate riding on different terrains and customize your workout plans according to your fitness level.
- 【Updated Stationary Bike】The current version adopts thickened frame tube, overcomes the unsteady defects of most of spin bikes in the market. Solid build, weight capacity 330LBS, give you a safe riding.
- 【Smooth and Quiet Exercise Bike】With 40LBS flywheel and silent belt driven, this spinning bike gives you an unbelievably smooth and silent ride. It will never disturb your families when you burning calories.
- 【Best Spin Bikes for Home】2-ways adjustable handlebar, 4-ways padded seat and adjustable tension to make this exercise bicycle meet the need of beginners to professionals. Even can't access a studio, you can boost immunity, strengthen heart and lungs and muscles, perfect for your family health!
Last update on 2021-08-02 at 20:13 PST/ Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
There are two primary types of exercise bikes being used today; the stand-up and the recumbent.
The stand-up, or the upright bike, is engaging and the most similar to traditional outdoor bicycling. It has the same position and body movements, and requires you to activate muscles in your arms and shoulders much like you would when cycling outdoors. Given the upright position you have to maintain during the exercise, your abdominal muscles get worked as well, which is a muscle group often neglected in bikes like the recumbent. The last advantage is the size of the machine itself, known in the exercise world as the machine’s footprint. Since it’s footprint is relatively small, it allows more space in the room to put other exercise equipment. That being said, no bike is perfect, not even the stationary ones.
The disadvantages that come with an upright bike are more quality of life, but have an effect when paired with a dedicated fitness routine. If your form is correct then your back will be hunched which can create muscle soreness and fatigue, and the bike seat is smaller like traditional bikes, causing your rear to hurt enduring what bikers call “saddle soreness”. Another disadvantage is that it’s better fitted to people who are already athletic. Given the demanding nature of the exercise, it’s paired best with someone who works out regularly but wants to use the bike for home fitness.
The recumbent bike is the second type of exercise bike. With a simple change in seating, most of the disadvantages of the upright bike are alleviated, while trading out a more intense workout. In a recumbent bike the rider’s body sits easily into the frame, with most sporting larger seats and armrests. The reclined body position and pedal placement allow for a less engaging but comfortable workout. The seating and size stop any saddle problems and the reclined position makes for an easier exercise on the neck and back. The last advantage is that a recumbent bike can be used by people in all walks of life.
From physical therapy and recovery, to an enjoyable experience in home fitness, the recumbent fits the needs of just about anyone. Again, no bike is perfect and the recumbent mirrors a lot of the advantages of the upright with it’s downfalls. The comfort of the recumbent make for a less intense workout, and put the workload onto your lower body. You can do an entire exercise without ever engaging the upper body which makes for less fitness for your time. The question of which is the best home bike will continue to be decided by the buyer. Now that you know the difference, we’ll discuss what you should look for in bikes when breaking out your wallet.
When deciding on an exercise bike, the most important thing to consider is your fitness goals. The top exercise bikes will always be what fits your goals, effort, and wallet the best. With that in mind, there are a few basic components that are needed in any bike. You want it to always include things like resistance variation, so your bike can progressively get harder as you get stronger. You want a computer on it that tells you general stats such as distance, speed and calories burned. Comfort has to be at the top of the priority list, especially if you’ll be biking regularly. A thousand dollar bike is useless when it’s not being used because your aches are too much to bear, and something as small as seat size can alleviate that. If you’re either a bit taller or shorter than the average, try to look for bikes with seats that adjust accordingly. Your pedals should always have straps for safety, and the handlebars should be screwed tight to the machine. Since stability is such an important part of all exercise, always check the weight and size limit to make sure you’re not going to injure yourself. Optional accessories include things like a heart rate monitor, folding for more room management, and built-in fans for cooling and air resistance. Keep these in mind and you should be able to pick yourself up a nice bike fitted to your goals, without breaking the bank!
There are benefits to using any type of exercise bike, which is probably the reason it’s become such a popular tool. The low-impact nature is easy to take on, whether you’re a professional biker in training or just trying to keep yourself fit. The bikes are all indoors meaning you can exercise whether it’s rain or shine, and the wide range of uses make the bike a very flexible fitness option for anybody wanting to live a healthier lifestyle.
In conclusion, there is a bike out there for everyone. Whether you prefer the engaged upright, or the comfortable recumbent, stationary bikes are useful for anyone and are a great addition to any exercise plan.